Friday, June 29, 2012

Appointment Follow Up

So we had our loooooong appointment on Tuesday and it went really well. Josh did another semen analysis and then we signed our consent forms with the embryologist...fancy. I didn't realize she was the embryologist at first, I just assumed she was a nurse. Oh the power of the name tag. I kind of was amazed at her, what an incredible job. She was so sweet, kind and well normal. We had to go over the paperwork before the appointment because they didn't have time to go over every single detail. So the night before (what that's not procrastinating...it's making sure it all stays fresh in our minds) we sat down at the table and went through our IVF packet.



Lots of stuff to read about and talk about. Tough topics and serious decisions were to be made. Our packet even included lovely photos of how to give yourself injections. Fun.


Anyway, we got to our appointment on time even though I had to make a quick stop at Arby's for a medium roast beef sandwich due to my crazy blood sugar lately. Josh went on in for his semen analysis and I said a little prayer for him. My "nurse" (who actually turned out to be the embryologist) came to get me and took me to our little meeting room where we'd sign our consent papers and talk about the whole IVF process. I'm still not really brave at taking pics while I'm at the doctor's office. I try and play it cool but I just don't want to explain why I'm taking a picture. I did sneak this photo though while I was waiting for Josh.


We went over the steps of the fertilization process and were educated on how they rate and classify healthy embryos aka embies. Not going to lie, half the time when she was talking I just sat there, smiled and nodded. She used really big words and some words were a little scary. But we got all of our questions answered and felt that we were in good hands. I truly felt like she was just another teammate.

After that we had our inject/medication class. Another sweet lady (this time it was an actual nurse) came in with her arms full of goodies. We got to play with fake injects and practice shooting a fake little plastic skin thing. I don't know what it's actually called but you get the gist. The needle was smaller than I was expecting so that was good. She made it all seem so easy, I think I'll be an ol pro. She repeated several times to not give the injects cold (because they're stored in the fridge). Josh teased her and said he was going to put the medicine in the microwave to warm it up lol. She said "NO NO NO!?!?! Please don't do that". It made me laugh so much though because Josh needs humor to get through all of this. That is something we were never able to do at KU Med, everything was so cold and serious. Obviously IVF and infertility is a serious thing but you've got to laugh. We decided very early on that we'd make the best of it, even if it is teasing the nurses :)

So we ordered our medication and was told when to take what and how much. It all seems stressful and absolutely nuts in my head but it makes sense on paper. They must be trained to watch for that "deer in headlights" look because every so often when my eyes started to glaze over she said "just one step at a time, dear" and I shook my head up and down and smiled.

Finally we had the trial embryo transfer. I wasn't really sure what to expect of this or how long it would last. Basically they just inserted a catheter (the same size they'll use for when they transfer our embryo(s)) and checked a few things. They do some measurements and wanted to see how easily it could get where it needed to go, apparently sometimes there are bumps or curves. Mine was perfect (and yes I patted myself on the back). She said it was smooth and there won't be any issues.

That was that! We left and still felt extremely sure that this was the right step. This would be our ticket to parenthood. Our clinic believes in us and we believe that Jesus has his hands all around us. We stopped at McDonalds on our way home because I needed an ice cream cone...I was feeling a little crampy from the trial transfer. Nothing a little ice cream can't fix though :)

Yesterday the clinic called with Josh's SA results. Though his count is still severely low it was better than the last time! We'll take it :))) Last time his count was 9,800 (should be 40 plus million) and this time it was 147,000...but more importantly his motility was higher!!! Last time the motility was 27% (should be greater than 30%) and this time it was 67%!!!! They said they found "plenty of healthy sperm" to perform the ICSI procedure on my eggs. They said if he does that next month then that will be perfect, no worries at all.

My cheeks felt hot after I got off the phone. I was so happy-thrilled! Josh and I have decided that we don't get bad news from MRC. Things are moving right along! I should get my medication in the mail next week and my first day of injects in Sunday the 8th.

This weekend we're celebrating the Fourth of July with Josh's family! We have a big get together every Fourth and have a huge dinner, homemade ice cream, cold drinks, and our very own pro fireworks show put on by Josh's brother Steve. It is awesome. This year we're missing some family which is a bummer. Last summer we had our Aussies here!!! That's always a special treat. I hate summer but I love the Fourth. I love spending time with family that we don't see very often. Makes it so much sweeter, lots of smiles and laughing. Praying that next Fourth we'll have a baby or two to pass around and love on :)


Until next time...








8 comments:

  1. Love all of the good news! I hope you have a wonderful weekend with family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me happy. :) I'm so glad to hear the improvement in the SA. One more week till meds!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bran, you and Josh have been on my prayerlist this last week, and I am going to continue to pray for you throughout this process. Hoping to hear the best news ever in early August!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three girls that I miss so much. Thank you for the love, thoughts and prayers. They are being put to good use I assure you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, consent forms...fun fun LOL. Now you get to see what I do at my job, I get to write those bad boys! I'm so very proud of you and have no doubt in my mind that the positive input and laughter that you are bringing to this is playing its very own role. When your spirits are high and you believe like you are doing, good things follow. I am so happy you found MRC, and people are treating you with kindness and respect. I can't wait to see you again and wrap my arms around you. :) btw: you should watch Napolean Dynamite on your movie weekend, ALWAYS a good laugh! love you girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great flick!!! I'll definitely put that on my list :)

      Delete
  6. Josh & Bran, I love you guys so much! I love being able to watch from a distance this journey and see all the updates. You two are so strong and the love & support you have for each other is amazing. Just think, one day you will be showing this blog to little babe E and he/she will see be able to experience this journey too :)
    I can not wait!!!! We are so excited here in Oklahoma, and sending prayers every day and lots of xoxoxoxoxo!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many many x's and o's to you sweet big sis. I am so thankful that we're able to share this journey with those we love. Tanks for the prayers...keep em coming ;)

      Delete